Tuesday 27 January 2009

the highs and the lows

One privilege on being a pastor is that you get to take part in the highs and the lows of people around you. You get to experience life with them - and to lift them in prayer before our Father.

Yesterday my wonderful lady and I visited a former member of our church. She is in her 70's, and until last week, shared her home with her grandson. Now he is gone - suicide.
We will never know why this brilliant 19 year old chose to end his life. As a suicide survivor said, most people who attempt or commit suicide don't really want to die - they just don't know how to live. How I wish things were different!

There were no words to say, to comfort this lady. Her husband died a few short years back. Her son died recently. Now her grandson is gone too. All I could do was to give her a warm embrace and pray for her - and to listen to anything she wanted to talk about. I think that's all anyone can do in circumstances like these. Be there, show her love and support, a shoulder to cry on and an open heart. I left there saddened and encouraged in the same time. Saddened by the tragedy in this lady's life. Encouraged by a Father who loves her and chose to use my wife and I as a little reminder of that love.

Today was a very different day. Our church building was invaded by a bunch of 5 year olds from the local school. It was part of their Religious Education class - a visit to a local church. I got to tell them a bit about being a Baptist, about Jesus Christ who died on a cross for us - and who is symbolised in the cross on the wall and the bread and wine on the Communion table. About repentance and 'starting again' in baptism. One boy had a mock baptism - I must confess I changed the 'liturgy' a bit. Instead of the standard baptism questions, I asked him if he'll stop fighting with his sister and if he promises to be good in school (he said Yes!!!!) - and then he was baptised in a pool with pretend water.

The whole thing was a lot of fun. All the children went down in the baptistry - we have stairs on both ends, so we had a line of kids coming down one set of stairs and up the other. They admired the 100 year old pipe organ, the stain glass windows, the wood carvings, the banners - and, as the teachers said, this was for many of them the first time they've ever been in a Christian church.

It was a first contact, but now apparently I am in a lot of truble. They promised to bring other classes over for visits throughout the year. I am supposed to get scheduled to lead some of their assemblies. Community outreach - and this is a door that 'opened itself', all I had to do was to say 'yes.'

1 comment:

KenC said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!! This is good Marius. I didn't read this before I wrote you but glad just the same WOW and WOW! I am here laughing and rejoicing what God is doing with you because you chose faithfulness to his guidance.
Boy am I having a happy moment over this. Thanks Brother. Love KenC