Sunday 25 January 2009

Last time "preaching with a view"

... or so I hope! :o

The Vote is Tuesday, but already the deacons treat me as their pastor. And I really feel that they are my church. But today was the last time I was here as a visiting preacher.

This is what "prodigal John" says on his blog (http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com), about 'audition sermons': "1. I'd preach part 2 of a 3 part sermon series.
Forget this one off nonsense. I'm coming in and preaching the second part of a three part series. I'm starting right in the middle of the conversation. You want to hear the dramatic conclusion? You want to know how this Biblical cliffhanger of a sermon ends? Curious about where the series began, or what I would call the "prequel?" You'd have to invite me back to preach again."

Well, this is more or less what I did. I began a series from John the first time they called me, back in December. Today I let them know that it was a series.... If they want to hear the rest, they have vote me in on Tuesday. :)

It would be interesting if it goes south... I'm already scheduled to preach there for the next few Sundays, so if there is a No vote, that'll make for some interesting crowd dynamics!

We passed another hurdle today. My buddy Eddy came to his dad's church, and loved it! I was afraid he'll miss Hope - they are an amazingly great church, and I feel a bit bad to take my family from there in order to join a much smaller church. But Eddy really loved the Sunday School - Well done, Lord! There is this girl, Rachel - she is only 18, but she is AMAZING! I watched her interact with the kids at the Boys' Brigade on Wednesday - if there ever was a person gifted to work with children, it's her! So great to have people like her on the team! Eddy said he loves her. OK, don't take it the wrong way - he's a bit young for that kind of love - well, he has a girlfriend his own age, sort of. But to hear him say that did a lot to boost this daddy's confidence that he's doing the right thing.

On Tuesday I have this bunch of 5 year olds from the local primary school descending on me. Put me in front of thousands of mean looking adults, and I'm OK. But send a bunch of 5 year olds my way, and I'm scared witless! I love kids, but I always feel like I don't know quite how to keep them interested and entertained. As a father of 4, this does not speak highly of my parenting skills... Anyway, after being in the States for a few years, it's great to realise I'm in a country where schools will call on churches for help and would drop in for a visit with a bunch of kids. I am hoping this will develop into a lasting relationship with the school. They are just down the road from us.

So here I am, already making plans, developing a vision, trying to lay down a path... Maybe I'm a bit too excited about it all? I guess what makes me so pumped up is the deep sense that I'm exactly where the Lord wants me, and that He is going to come through for us in a big way. He's such a great God! OK, he does have some questionable choices when it comes to pastors for his churches - at least one of them.... But I am so in love with him!

No comments: