Wednesday 21 January 2009

I am so blessed!

Last week a group of us from Ford went to visit Flo, a 90-something young lady from our church. We chatted, we had communion, we admired the amazing matchstick ship model she builds... It broke my heart to know that she has not had communion in years - there was noone to bring it to her, and she is house-bound. And yet she didn't complain - she loves the Lord, she loves his Church, she keeps up to date with what is going on - and she is praying for us.

On Monday my wonderful wife and I went to visit Edie, another young lady, in her 80's, also house bound. She just came home from the hospital; we went there just for a chat and a prayer - hoping to be a blessing to her. In fact, it was us who were blessed. I could see Evelina filled with the joy of being there. Find the elderly, the sick, the needy, and she is in her element. And, sure enough, we got another prayer warrior interceding for us. Edie promised to keep Evelina and I in her prayers - the Lord knows how we need that.

Today I went to the Boys' Brigade. There were less than 20 boys tonight - but altogether, this little church has about 40 youngsters enrolled in the Boys Brigade and the Girls Brigade. 40 young lives being touched with the love of Christ - and through them, their families too. For me tonight was lots of fun. Beyond that, however, is the realisation of how wonderful this church is. They had years of hurt, of pain, of decline. And yet, rather than focusing on themselves, they are as outward focused as ever. They look for ways to help the community. They pray, and encourage, and love, and support. They spend their time, and money, and effort, in order to touch others with the grace and love from our Daddy.

And here am I, this wondering, lost, uprooted guy - called to be a part of this work of God's grace. I am from another country, another culture, I am just a stranger - and yet they embraced me as their own. I have no illusions - it is going to be a long and difficult jurney - but, I am so blessed! I could have ended in any of the disfunctional, selfish, inward-focused, consumer churches out there - and yet the Lord lead me to these dear ones. I have such a gift for messing things up, and getting things wrong - and yet I am so blessed!

No comments: